Not By Bread Alone

Learning to care for myself properly in order to do God's will in my life.

9/28/2006

Supraventricular Tachycardia

SVT information

The above link gives a nice and simple explanation of what it is. What it doesn't explain too well is how it feels...it is more then simply a 'fast heart rate'. For instance if you were to run up a flight of stairs...your heart rate would increase, but most likely you wouldn't really feel it. However with SVT...it feels like your heart is going to jump right out of your chest. Also the heart gets thrown off its regular rhythm, unlike the previous scenerio. I can tell right away when it starts and then when it converts again. I usually end up having to go to the hospital, because it doesn't usually convert on its own for me...I was lucky this time. The IV meds that the article refers to is called 'Adenosine' and they now carry it in ambulances...but it feels pretty nasty as it goes through your body.


posted by Essy @ 5:07 PM